At the center of the up and coming eastern section of Amsterdam is a boutique hotel that both loudly and subtly screams fun. The Volkshotel was once a newspaper headquarters and now houses 172 rooms in this fanciful hotel. But it is more than just a place to sleep at the end of the day. The Volkshotel offers a full experience for its guests. You can book a standard room or one of their nine specialty rooms, and then spend some time on their badplaats for a unique spa-like experience. Or enjoy yoga, hair care, a massage, or a boat tour and come back on weekend evenings for an all-out nightlife experience.
Room Options at Volkshotel
There are two basic rooms types at Volkshotel: standard and specialty rooms. There are 9 specialty rooms varying in theme and decor, and the rest of the rooms are different sized standard rooms. All rooms have a private shower and bathroom, wifi, and a personal safe.
Standard Rooms at Volkshotel
There are 6 standard rooms sizes at Volkshotel. You can find rooms with one bed for a couple’s vacation or rooms with separate beds for friends or groups.
- XS– One of the most affordable options, this small room as a bed for two, a television, a private bathroom, and a safe. It is a great option for those on a budget or only using the room minimally.
- M– Another room for two but this time you will have a little extra room to move around.
- M Twin– This is the perfect room for friends coming on a holiday with two separate twin beds.
- L- This room offers sleeping space for 4 which is perfect for a family or a group of friends. There is a full bed on the ground and another hanging from the ceiling. You have a little extra room to move around in here as well.
- XL- This room also sleeps 4 but gives you a little more wiggle room. It has two bathrooms- one with a shower and one with a bathtub- and central living space. Perfect for families or two couples traveling together.
- Miva– There is only one Miva room, and it is reserved to be wheelchair accessible for guests. It can sleep up to 3 people.
Specialty Rooms at Volkshotel
There are nine different specialty rooms at Volkshotel. Each room is themed and decorated in a unique way so you can find something that really speaks to your soul.
- Edmund– A combination of abstract and nature, this room offers uniquely constructed furniture all with ferns, indoor plants, and dark green decor to make you feel like you’re in the throws of the jungle.
- Cinema– Bring yourself straight into Hollywood glamour with this deep red room. Paired with a black tile shower and a large vanity, you will feel like a movie star.
- Bathing Bikou– In this minimalist style room you will be able to find relaxation and refuge from the daily and nightlife activities at Volkshotel. Soak away your hangover in the Japanese style tub and open-concept room.
- Soixante Neuf– Looking for a little action? This room is for you. With a bed suspended from the ceiling, and romantic, intimate colors you might want to spend all day in there with your partner.
- White Bike Room- It looks just like it sounds. Celebrating the Dutch love of bikes, this room is surrounded by white bikes and even utilizes bikes in its decor. You will also get two white bikes to use to explore Amsterdam during your stay.
- Danny’s Room- Danny the deer is a gigantic presence in this fun room. Sleep in a large fruit crate and be surrounded by bright and eclectic colors that are common in Dutch culture.
- Cabin in the Woods- Minimalist yet naturalist, this room has an elevated bed and is accented with natural wood throughout.
- You are Here- This futuristic room will make you feel like you’re in the next century. Lights illuminate the floors and you can even transform the room to different places in Amsterdam with the push of the button.
- Johnny Jukebox- This room is for music lovers. Geometric shapes, rising and falling spaces and old CDs and vinyl surround you in this musical escape.
Daytime Activities at Volkshotel
Volkshotel is more than just a place you come back to at the end of the day. There are plenty of things to do during the day at Volkshotel.
- Badplaats– This rooftop area has a sauna, a whirlpool, and occasionally massage experiences overlooking the city of Amsterdam. It’s open from 7 A.M. to 11 P.M. daily.
- Yoga- Enjoy early morning yoga or an evening downtime practice, this yoga class is taught by a professional yoga instructor. It is a combination of Vinyasa, Hatha, and Yin Yoga. For all levels on Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
- Hair Cut- Need a little trim? A professional hairstylist is on-site every Friday.
- Massage– On Fridays and Sundays you can enjoy a chair or table massage in the Werkplaats or Badplaats at Volkshotel.
- Werkplaats– Looking to get in touch with your creative side? Werkplaats offers you a place to work, create, and explore.
- Breodplaats– You can learn something new at these creative workshops. Belly-dancing, make a plant hanger, mold with clay, or learn how to play Djembe drums.
- Boat Tour– Interested in seeing Amsterdam? You can take a guided boat tour along the river.
Nightlife at Volkshotel
You won’t just be sleeping or yoga-ing at Volkshotel. At night this hotel turns into pure fun. With several different options for nightlife, mostly Thursdays through Saturdays, you will be able to enjoy the exciting nightlife Amsterdam has to offer you all without being too far away from your bed when you’re ready to collapse.
- Werkplaats– The Werkplaats turn into a nightclub when the live DJ comes out on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Canvas– Volkshotel’s restaurant gives way to nighttime entertainment like cocktail experiences, a fortune teller, live DJ’s on the weekends, and more.
- Doka– This is the ultimate nightlife experience in Volkshotel. Open from 1 A.M. to 6 A.M. on Fridays and Saturdays, this basement nightclub is not for the faint of heart.
Dining Options at Volkshotel
Canvas is the restaurant inside the Volkshotel and offers menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as late into the night. You can eat here for every meal and every snack or cocktail in between as it doesn’t close until after midnight. In the evening you will find different nightlife entertainment like fortune-telling, cocktail mixing, and live DJs.
The dinner menu includes traditional Dutch dishes like stamppot with pork belly and gravy, roasted pig neck with shrimp mayonnaise, stewed lamb shank, and plaice on the bone with brown butter. They also offer more common dishes like mac and cheese, meatballs with sauce, and spring chicken with lemon. For lunch, you can find something as exotic as dutch veal croquettes on bread with mustard or your classic bacon burger with fries.
Canvas also has a very extensive wine, beer, and cocktail menu for you to enjoy throughout the day including coffees and espressos for those morning hangovers.
Read More: Want to travel to Amsterdam in a different way? Check out European River Cruises to make your way there!
Don’t Miss Lucius Restaurant When Staying at Volkshotel in Amsterdam
Lucius restaurant is known for its phenomenal seafood and menu options. We first heard about Lucius from travelers who would stop in Amsterdam on their way to Europe just to have some smoked fish at Lucius. It did not disappoint, we left the restaurant feeling overly full but wishing we could have fit in more. My favorite item on the menu was a collection of different cold fish like herring, smoked salmon, smoked whitefish and others. Memories of this meal still haunt me as I have been unable to replicate anything of that quality and variety ever since.
A trip to Amsterdam is an experience in and of itself, but staying at a unique boutique hotel like Volkshotel will take that experience to a whole new level. With the different specialty suites, the extensive daytime activities, and the nightlife that is literally right at your doorstep, you might find yourself hard-pressed to find time to actually tour Amsterdam- which only means you’ll have to go back!
WANT TO READ MORE?